Testing Product recommendation means experimenting with different elements of recommendations section to make it more usable and convertible. There are different ways you can test product recommendations. Below are the elements you should test to improve performance of your product recommendations section.
Title is the most important element of the recommendation section. The title is why people will see the recommendations. Sometimes, Title is the only thing visible in first fold.
Suggested titles to test:
- “60% people who viewed above product also viewed these:”
- “60% people who bought above product also bought these:”
- “60% people who bought above product also viewed these:”
- “60% people who viewed above product bought these:”
Note: “60%” is just used as an example above. That number would vary depending upon the user behavior.
Call-to-action is why people will click and go further to buy more. It’s not every time that “Add to cart” button will get more clicks. We’ve seen instances where “Know more” as a prominent button get better conversions rates.
Suggestions to test call-to-action:
- “Know more” as call-to-action button and “Add to cart” as a small link
- Only “Know more” as a call-to-action button.
(No “Add to cart” CTA tells customers that the seller wants them to explore the product before they buy)
WHERE you place product recommendation section is also important and hence it should be tested. For some sites, recommendations on one page might perform better than recommendations on other page.
Suggestions to test placements:
- Product page vs Shopping cart page
- Product page vs category page
- Category page vs Shopping cart page
- On product page, you can test it below the product details vs above the product details
- On shopping cart page, you can try it below the “Checkout” button vs above it.
Shopping cart page
4) Normal recommendations vs Bundles
A Product Bundle is basically a group of products that you offer to your users, mostly at a discount. It’s a nice way to encourage impulse buying and increase order value. When a customer is on a product page, you can suggest a bundle of products that would go well with that product.
Suggestion for test between different pages:
- Test product bundling vs normal recommendations.